Well this post is coming out a lot later than I intended, but I got it done! So I’m happy.
This year, I set a small number of personal goals I will strive to accomplish throughout the year. Then I realized, I have never set only resolutions pertaining to the blog. Surprisingly, I have always treated it as something I just do, not worth setting any goals for. Don’t get me wrong, I have taken it seriously since day one, just not as a priority. Now I find myself with a burgeoning number of readers who are starting to comment and ask questions. It sure is exhilarating to know that there are fellow stationary addicts out there who care about what I have to say.
I never started this blog with the objective to get a certain amount of readers or become the next Pen Addict. It was just a side project of mine that I was passionate about. I had next to no hobbies at the time, resulting in me being a rather boring person with nothing to say about himself (I was also kind of a socially awkward loner). Since I chose to start this blog, I have met so many kind people who have encouraged me, fed my addiction, inspired me to improve my reviews, expand my horizons when it comes to pens and just been there for me.
When I went to the L. A. Pen show in February last year, I got to meet so many people who shared my enthusiasm about pens and stationary. Granted I was on the younger side of the spectrum, but that didn’t stop them from engaging me in intelligent, thought provoking conversation about their life experiences and what fountain pens meant to them. It was an overall amazing thing to experience. I just hope I can go again this year, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed…
Coming back to my main point, I decided that this blog is something I want to take seriously, not professionally mind you, I’m not even close to being able to do that (maybe that can be a goal someday?). So I created a list of resolutions I wish to achieve by the end of the year. I’ll be actively updating all of you on my progress and I ask for your advise, encouragement and help in achieving them. So without further ado, here we go:
- Start becoming more active on social media
- I have never been one to actively use social media, even before I started The Passionate Penman. This year I would like to be more active on Instagram and Twitter. It’ll take a while for me to get used to using it frequently, so please bear with me.
- One review a week without fail, no excuses
- Now this is something that I definitely needed to work on. After reviewing my calendar from 2015, I saw how staggered and unorganized the post dates and times were. Starting from this week that all changes. My goal is to keep my momentum up and learn to balance my schoolwork with my reviews.
- Improve my photography which I feature in my reviews.
- Plenty of times, I find that my photos are pretty standard and have no sense of style, proper lighting, etc. This is something I hope to fix with both trial and error and taking a course in Photoshop. I will actively work on being more creative with my backgrounds and angles. I could really use your guys’ critique especially in this area. Tell me what works and what doesn’t.
- Work on getting some kind of sponsorship
- Acquiring new pens to review is getting a little bit on the expensive side and I was wondering whether there was any way I could cooperate with a pen store/seller to get pens I can review and then return. Otherwise I don’t think my poor wallet can handle the stress. I will probably reach out to different stationary bloggers to try and get some advise on this. I want to try and secure a sponsorship with just one company by the end of the year. It may be ambitious, but I’m going to work at it persistently. Wish me luck! 🙂
The numbers don’t designate priority or anything. They are all goals I will pursue with tenacity. My ultimate goal is to be able to refer back to this list on December 31st, 2016 and say I accomplished all of these resolutions I’ve listed. Thank you for reading my blog, I hope you are enjoying the reviews I put out. I wish you all a Happy New Year and success in all your future endeavors. Let’s do this…