Top 5 Gel Ink Pens
- Uni-ball Signo DX 0.38mm – One of my first, still the best I’ve ever used.
- Pentel Energel Euro Needle-Point 0.35mm – Coming in at a close second, this is one of the most reliable and long lived pens I have.
- Pilot Hi-Tec C 0.4mm – When it’s working well, it’s amazing.
- Uni-ball Signo RT1 – Performance like the DX, also retractable.
- Uni-ball Jetstream – Super crisp and consistent lines
Top 5 Liquid Ink (Roller Ball) Pens
- Ohto Graphic Liner 005 – The pen I stockpile because it’s just that good.
- Retro 51 Tornado – A classic which took me a long time to acquire. Now that I have, I don’t know why I didn’t get it earlier.
- Morning Glory Mach 3 – Bought on a recommendation, got me back into roller balls.
- Pilot Multi Ball – A great pen that can write on a wide variety of surfaces.
- Pilot Precise V5 – A Staples classic
Top 5 Plastic Tip Pens
- Staedtler Pigment Liner – Solid and reliable, ’nuff said
- Sakura Pigma Micron – The go-to art pen for many, including me
- Kuretake Zig Cartoonist Mangaka – Crisp and sharp lines
- Uni Pin Pen – Feels great in the hand, typical drawing pen
- Sharpie – Available nearly everywhere and long lasting
Top 5 Fountain Pens Under $30
- Jinhao 159 – Looks like a Montblanc, writes better than any pen I’ve seen at it’s price range
- Pilot Metropolitan – Slight ergonomic issue for me, but a good write nonetheless
- Lamy Safari – Nib swap galore, but the triangular grip may not be for everybody
- Platinum Preppy – A quality fountain pen under 5 bucks? Sign me up.
- Pilot Petit 1 – Pocket pen, nice nib
Top 5 Fountain Pens $100-$200
- Franklin-Christoph Model 40P – Eyedropper pen with a Masuyama nib = perfection
- Pilot Vanishing Point – If you can get used to the clip placement, it’s a lovely daily user
- Edison Pearlette – Stunning acrylic colorways, quality nibs once properly tuned
- Platinum #3776 Century – Nibs run a little fine, but unparalleled smoothness out of box
- Pilot Falcon – Modern hooded semi flex nib with a lot of character, fun to play around with